Frequently Asked Questions
I. General Questions
1.Where is Salinas, CA? Salinas is in the Central Coastal Valley of California. It is 30 minutes away from the beaches, Pinnacles mountains, and the Carmel artist community. It is primarily an agricultural community with a large Latino population, and it is close enough to San Francisco for weekend trips into the city.
2. Where would I be living? As a community member you will be provided with housing at our Mercy Center (about a mile from our workplace - Dorothy's Place Hospitality Center) or the House of Peace, located on the second floor at Dorothy's.
At the Mercy Center there are 6 apartment style housing units; you will have your own personal bedroom, and will most likely have to share a bathroom, living room and kitchen with fellow apartment-mates. The first apartment is used as communal space —we host community meetings, meals and activities in the living and dining area of this apartment.
The House of Peace has 15 individual rooms and is comprised of formerly homeless individuals and Companions. Everyone has their own room, and shares a kitchen, bathroom, and showers.
3. How does the stipend work?/Can I get a raise? Stipend amounts are determined by your length of time and service. This is not automatic. It is contingent upon, a mutually shared sense of the individuals preparedness for a deeper engagement in the intentional community life of the companions of the way, "a good fit".
- Immersion Intern One: $300 a month
- Immersion Intern Two: $400 a month
- Core Community Interns: $600 a month
- Core Community Members: $800 a month, or as negotiated with the Board of Directors.
Stipends are paid out twice a month on the 1st and 15th of every month.
4. Will I get medical insurance? Medical benefits are available for persons who have been accepted into the Companions of the Way Community.
II. Dorothy's Place Related Questions
1.Where is Dorothy's Place located? Dorothy's Place is on 30 Soledad St. Salinas, CA 93902. It is located in Chinatown, and is about 2 miles, 5 minutes, west of the Mercy Center.
2. Can I pick what program to work in?/What skills do I need to work at Dorothy's Place? We encourage new community members to explore the current programs and decide whether any of them are a perfect match for their skills and interests. Otherwise, we are open to any well-planned out program ideas that will further our mission to engage and empower the marginalized members of our community.